Don’t miss the best junk-to-trunk show in town! The Bainbridge Island Trashion Show is an entertaining fashion show featuring repurposed materials. Get ready to be dazzled as local models of all ages and talented designers present creative garb that spans functional to funky. Join us to get inspired for how to re-use old clothing, and make new outfits from old clothing or reclaimed materials. Capri Sun juice pouches become corsetted bodices, kitchen curtains become ruffles, and beaded vests are adorned with discarded corks… our runway is one of a kind! This year’s Trashion Show is proudly brought to you by Bainbridge Island Zero Waste, an initiative of Sustainable Bainbridge.
- This event has passed.
April 14, 2019 @ 2:00 pm - 3:00 pm UTC+0
Before you come see the show, we extend an invitation to contemplate your closet:
- Americans buy 20 billion new items of clothing and send 12 million tons of textiles to the landfill every year
- It takes more than 700 gallons of water to produce a single cotton t-shirt.
- It takes up to 2,900 gallons of water to produce a pair of jeans.
- The average pair of jeans produces about 900 lbs of CO2 over its lifespan. 60% of this is in the production; 40% is in the use and disposal of the garment.
- 95% of textiles are recyclable; only 15% of textiles in the US are recycled.
You can make a difference! You have control over half the carbon footprint of your clothes. Buy used clothing. Wear your clothing out. Buy quality products that last a long time. Use cold water to wash, and wash only when needed. Swap clothes on Buy Nothing Bainbridge (a Facebook group), or with friends, family, neighbors and co-workers! Special thanks to our 2019 cash sponsors who are helping to make this year’s show possible!