- This event has passed.
SLGN FIELD TRIP – GARDEN LEARNING AT ISLANDWOOD
March 12, 2022 @ 3:00 am - 6:00 amFree
Learn how the garden at IslandWood is used for experiential, culturally sustaining and affirming education by graduate students and elementary aged students alike. We’ll take a tour of the garden – and have some “free-explore” time – and discuss how the garden is integrated into IslandWood’s programming. We will also get to learn about a partnership with The Island School and Friends of the Farms on Bainbridge Island to plant a “food forest” to support creek restoration efforts.
For more about the garden, check out IslandWood’s blog, and click on “Garden Education”.
This event is sponsored by the School Learning Garden Network, as part of ongoing professional learning and networking opportunities for garden educators of all backgrounds and in all types of gardens.
There is limited capacity for this event, so register soon! Ferry and carpool information below.
THINGS TO KNOW
● For ferry information and schedule, check the WSDOT website.
● VAN CARPOOL PICK UP – We are offering a limited number of spots in our van to pick you up at the ferry terminal on Bainbridge Island and bring you back. If you’d like to get a ride in the van you must take the 9:35 a.m. ferry from Seattle.
● DRIVE YOURSELF – This option allows greater flexibility, but will cost more. Please plan on arriving at IslandWood between 10:50-11:00 (if coming from Seattle, the 9:35 ferry will get you there on time). Carpooling is encouraged!
● We’ll be OUTSIDE. Our time will be outdoors, with covered space and heaters for seated time. Dress for the weather.
● Please bring a sack lunch to eat in the garden.
● This event does NOT include a full tour of campus, but we’re hosting “Afternoon on the Trails” on the same day, which is an open, self-guided trails time! Info to sign up for that will be sent when the registration opens.
● IslandWood’s Covid-19 policy can be found here.
● We will provide coffee and tea, as well as IslandWood’s “famous” cookies!