- This event has passed.
AMOROUS AMPHIBIANS NIGHT HIKE AT ISLANDWOOD
March 30, 2019 @ 6:30 pm - 8:30 pm UTC+0$5
What’s all that racket? Why, the sweet sounds of amorous amphibians have begun! Participants will learn about native frogs, their calls and habits in an engaging indoor presentation and then head outdoors at dusk to hunt for breeding frogs, toads, salamanders, newts and their eggs in our frog-filled wetland. This event is always a sell-out, so hop to it!
This event is best-suited for ages six years and up. After the presentation we’ll divide up into small groups of ten people each for the night hike down to our Cattail Marsh and Pond.
- Families welcome!
- Adults without children welcome too! (it’s not just “for kids”)
- Indoor presentation is 30-40 mins and seated. Younger children/siblings are welcome, but the presentation depth and hike length are developmentally suited for ages 6+.
- Evening hike to our wetlands is short distance, but on trail with roots, small footbridge and it will be dark. Wobby-walkers of all ages, please take note. One trail will accomodate strollers and trail-rugged wheelchairs, the other will not.
- Ticket price for all participants is $5.00/person. Infants on laps, or in baby carriers (Baby Bjorn, backpack, Ergo, etc) are free of charge.
- Wear layers to stay warm on a cool spring evening
- Wear shoes appropriate for a light hike.
- Bring your raingear (boots, jacket, hat). The frogs love the rain, but we want to stay dry and comfortable.
- Bring a headlamp or flashlight, we only have a few to loan.
- As always, we love dogs, but please leave yours at home unless they are a service animal.
- We cannot accomodate scout troops or organized groups at this particular event due to our limited capacity. Thank you for understanding.