We recognize that achieving a healthy, sustainable environment requires the participation and engagement of all people and that all people deserve a healthy, sustainable environment. Because of this, we are focused on advancing educational approaches that increase collective understanding and stewardship of the environment and that empower action that leads to greater environmental health, a sustainable future, and social and ecological wellbeing for all.
To do our work effectively, our programs and actions must be relevant, responsive, and accountable to the places and people we serve. This requires humility and an authentic commitment to our own continual learning and growth as it relates to diversity, equity, and inclusion. It also calls for us to acknowledge and address the different ways that people and communities are affected by systemic inequities.
To this end, our staff and board have made the following commitments:
• Ensure culturally responsive and inclusive practices across our organization, including in our programs, services, and policies;
• Provide equitable access to our programs, to employment opportunities within our organization, and to vendor and contract opportunities;
• Promote equity in our organization and field;
• Serve students and prepare educators who reflect the socioeconomic and cultural diversity of the region/s in which we operate;
• Be an authentic community partner; and,
• Be a learning organization.